St Swithun’s Church, Brattleby, is a Grade II* listed church in the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham.
This church dating back to the 13th century, was rebuilt in the 1650’s following the collapse of the tower in 1651.
In 2012 the church was awarded a substantial English Heritage Development Grant to undertake essential works to the North and South Transept Roofs and roof structure, repairs to the Tower Roof, improvements to the rainwater outlets and downpipes, and stone repairs to the parapet walls.
The investigation work completed during the Development phase identified the extent of the works. The tower roof timbers had suffered decay from persistent water ingress and were strengthened with steel plates and bolts at the key bearing points. The tower roof was reconfigured to comply with the latest LSA guidance and provided gutters that worked effectively and that could be maintained to avoid a similar occurrence in years to come. The down pipes were retained for aesthetic reasons and lead chutes introduced to discharge water. The softwood timber louvres were extensively decayed and had to be removed and replaced with a hardwood version and pigeon protection was added. The trusses to the North Transept roof were strengthen with steel plates and bolted fixings reflecting the historic repairs. The roof was re-boarded and gutters formed to achieve the LSA requirements.
- Parish Church of St Swithun's
- St Swithun's PCC
- English Heritage Grant Aided Roof Repairs
- Grade II*